Last Updated: March 2, 2023
NOTICE TO CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
Notice at Collection of Personal Information: We list the categories of personal information that we collect below under “Information We Collect.” We collect personal information about you for the purposes described below under “Information Use.” For information on how to opt-out of the sale or sharing of personal information, please click here
QUICK GUIDE CONTENTS
- INFORMATION WE COLLECT
- COOKIES, MOBILE IDs AND SIMILAR TECHNOLOGIES
- INFORMATION USE
- SHARING OF INFORMATION
- SECURITY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- YOUR RIGHTS, CHOICES AND OPT-OUTS
- DATA STORAGE
- YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
- YOUR VIRGINIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
- ADDITIONAL DISCLOSURES FOR NEVADA RESIDENTS
- THIRD-PARTY CONTENT, LINKS, AND PLUG-INS
- CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
- QUESTIONS/ CONTACT US
1. INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We collect information from you in various ways, including through information you provide to us directly, information we or other third parties automatically collect or infer, and information we receive from third parties. This includes data that identifies you personally whether directly (e.g., your name) or indirectly (e.g., information about your online use). We refer to such data as personal information or personal data throughout this Policy.
A. Information You Provide
We collect information you directly provide to us through our Site, in our stores and through your other interactions with us. This may include when you use our Site, register or create an online account with or through the Site, purchase products, request information from us, sign up for newsletters or our email list, opt in to receive text messages, use our services, enter into sweepstakes or other promotions, fill out a survey, request customer support, or otherwise communicate with or contact us.
The information we collect from you, and that we have collected from you over the last 12 months, generally falls into the following categories:
- Contact Details: We collect your contact information, such as name, postal address, email address, telephone or mobile number, fax number, or other similar identifiers.
- Financial Data: If you make a purchase from us, we collect a credit/debit card number and related financial information (such as CVV, expiration date, and billing address), depending on the form of payment you choose.
- Transaction Details: We collect details about your purchases or other transactions with us, including, but not limited to, your transaction or purchase history, transaction channel, or the general location of the store you visit.
- Account Information: You may choose to register for an account to make a purchase or use certain services. We collect information from you regarding your account registration, such as an email and password.
- Marketing and Communications Data: We collect data concerning your preferences in receiving marketing, other targeted information from us, and your contact preferences.
- Demographic Data: When you create an account online or at other times, such as in surveys, we may request that you provide birth month and day, gender and other demographic details, such as information about your shopping preferences.
- Content and Files: We may collect other information about you based on your interactions with us or that you choose to provide to us. For example, if you submit a product review you have the option to provide pictures or other information about yourself, and if you send us email messages or other communications, we will collect and retain those communications. If you choose to answer questions about a product in a survey or other communication requesting feedback, you may provide other information about yourself in your response.
When you are asked to provide personal information, you may decline. And you may use app or device controls to prevent certain types of automatic data collection. But if you choose not to provide or allow information that is necessary for the Site or certain features, the Site or features may not be available or function correctly.
B. Information We Automatically Collect
When you visit or interact with our Site, we may use a variety of technologies such as cookies, web beacons, pixel tags, log files, heat mapping and other technologies to automatically or passively collect certain information about your online activity. Please note that we automatically collect, and have automatically collected over the last 12 months, the following information about you:
- Geolocation Data. We collect certain geolocation data when you use our Site.
- Usage Information. We collect information about your usage of and activity on our Site, including the date and time you visit the Site, the areas, pages, or content of the Site that you visit or engage with, the frequency and duration of your activities (including but not limited to the amount of time you spend viewing or using the Site and the number of times you return to the Site), items that are added to or remain in your virtual cart on the Site, other click-stream or site usage data, emails that you open, forward or click-through to our Site, and other sites that you may visit.
- Video. When you visit our stores, we automatically record video for security, safety and loss prevention purposes.
For information about your advertising choices and how to opt-out of location information collection, please see the “Your Rights, Choices and Opt-Outs” section below.
C. Information Collected by Third Parties
D. Information Collected From Other Sources
We obtain information from other trusted sources to validate or supplement the information that you provide or that we collect automatically. These third-party sources and the categories of personal information we obtain from these third parties, and that we have obtained from these third parties over the last 12 months, include, for example:
|Third Party Sources||Categories of Personal Data|
|Data brokers. Data brokers and aggregators from whom we obtain data to supplement, validate or update the data we collect.||Contact details, financial data, transaction details, marketing and communications data, demographic data, content and files, identifiers and device information, geolocation data, usage data, inferences|
|Third party partners. Third party applications and services, including social networks you choose to connect with or interact with through our services, that make users’ information available to others.||Contact details, financial data, transaction details, account information, marketing and communications data, demographic data, content and files, identifiers and device information, geolocation data, usage data, inferences|
|Co-Branding/Joint Partners. Partners with which we offer co-branded services or engage in joint marketing activities.||Contact details, transaction details, account information, marketing and communications data, demographic data, content and files, identifiers and device information, geolocation data, usage data, inferences|
|Service providers. Third parties that collect or provide data in connection with work they do on our behalf, for example companies that determine your device’s location based on its IP address.||Contact details, financial data, transaction details, account information, marketing and communications data, demographic data, content and files, identifiers and device information, geolocation data, usage data, inferences|
|Publicly available sources. Public domain sources of information such as open government databases.||Contact details, marketing and communications data, demographic data|
E. Combination of Information; Inferences
We combine the information we collect from and about you, including information you provide to us and information we automatically collect through our Site, as well as information collected offline, across other computers or devices that you may use, and from third party sources. We infer new information from other data we collect, including using automated means to generate information about your likely preferences or other characteristics (“inferences”). For example, we infer your city, state, and country location based on your IP address, or product or shopping preferences based on your transaction history.
2. COOKIES, MOBILE IDs AND SIMILAR TECHNOLOGIES
3. INFORMATION USE
A. Use of Information by SOREL
We use information we collect for purposes described in this Policy or as disclosed to you in other ways including on our Site, in our stores, or in connection with our services. We may use this information to help us maintain the accuracy of the information we collect, personalize your experience on the Site, target our communications so that we can inform you of products, services or other offers that may be of interest to you, to measure ad quality and responses, and for internal business analysis or other business and commercial purposes. For example, we may use your information, and have used your information over the last 12 months, to:
|Purposes of Use||Categories of Personal Data|
|Product and Service Delivery. To provide and deliver our products, services and Sites, including securing, troubleshooting, improving, and personalizing those products, services and the Site.||Contact details, financial data, transaction details, account information, marketing and communications data, demographic data, content and files, identifiers and device information, geolocation data, usage data, video, inferences|
|Business Operations. To operate our business, such as billing, accounting, improving our internal operations, securing our systems, and detecting fraudulent or illegal activity.||Contact details, financial data, transaction details, account information, marketing and communications data, demographic data, content and files, identifiers and device information, geolocation data, usage data, video, inferences|
|Improvement, Development, and Research. To test and improve our products, services and the Site, develop new products or features, and conduct research.||Contact details, financial data, transaction details, account information, marketing and communications data, demographic data, content and files, identifiers and device information, geolocation data, usage data, inferences|
|Personalization. To provide you with customized content, targeted offers, and advertising on the Site, via email, SMS text, direct mail or across other websites, mobile applications, social media or online services you may use||Contact details, transaction details, account information, marketing and communications data, demographic data, content and files, identifiers and device information, geolocation data, usage data, inferences|
|Customer Support. To provide customer support including for product returns, and to respond to your questions.||Contact details, financial data, transaction details, account information, marketing and communications data, demographic data, content and files, identifiers and device information, geolocation data, usage data, video, inferences|
|Community. To manage and administer our community features and member programs and services||Contact details, transaction details, account information, marketing and communications data, demographic data, content and files, identifiers and device information, geolocation data, usage data, inferences|
|Communications. To send you information, including confirmations, invoices, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages such as Abandoned Cart, to invite you to participate in customer research opportunities, such as surveys and focus groups, and to process and deliver contest entries and awards.||Contact details, financial data, transaction details, account information, marketing and communications data, demographic data, content and files, identifiers and device information, geolocation data, usage data, inferences|
|Marketing. To communicate with you about new products, offers, promotions, contests and sweepstakes, upcoming events, and other news offered by SOREL and our selected partners (see the Choice and Control section of this Policy for how to change your preferences for promotional communications).||Contact details, transaction details, account information, marketing and communications data, demographic data, content and files, identifiers and device information, geolocation data, usage data, inferences|
We also use your information to provide you with other services or for other purposes as disclosed at the time you provide your information or otherwise with your consent. In carrying out these purposes, we combine data we collect from different sources to give you a more seamless, consistent, and personalized experience.
4. SHARING OF INFORMATION
Certain sections of our Site are designed as open and public community areas for connecting and sharing with other people. When you sign up for or participate in these areas you will be asked to provide certain information that may be displayed publicly along with photos, stories, posts, product reviews and other information you choose to provide. We may also post or publish your information when you submit comments, stories, photos, and videos in connection with surveys, contests, sweepstakes, or promotions offered on the Site.
We share personal information, and have shared your personal information over the last 12 months, with your consent or as necessary to complete your transactions or provide the products you have requested or authorized. For example, when you provide payment data to make a purchase, we will share that data with banks and other entities as necessary for payment processing, fraud prevention, credit risk reduction, or other related financial services.
In addition, we share all the categories of your personal information described above, and have shared your personal information over the last 12 months, with third parties as follows:
- with your consent, including if we notify you on the Site that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such information or when you agree to our sharing of your information with other third parties for their own marketing purposes subject to their separate privacy policies;
- with our subsidiaries and affiliates including common data systems to process personal information as needed to provide our products and operate our business;
- with vendors, consultants and other service providers who are working on our behalf and need access to your information to carry out their work for us for the business purposes described in this Policy, including fulfilling orders or assisting us in advertising our products and services on third party websites;
- if you choose to enter into one of our sweepstakes, contests, or other promotions (a “Promotion”) we may disclose your information to third parties or the public in connection with the administration of such Promotion, as required by law, as otherwise permitted by the Promotion’s official rules, or otherwise in accordance with the terms of this Policy;
- in connection with, or during negotiations of corporate transactions or proceedings such as a merger, sale of company assets, financing, acquisition, bankruptcy, dissolution, divestiture, or other transfer of all or a portion of our business to another company.
Finally, we may share other de-identified information and/or aggregate information in accordance with applicable law.
Please note that some parts of our Site may include references or links to sites provided by third parties whose privacy practices differ from ours. If you provide personal information to any of those third parties, or consent to our sharing personal information with them, that information is governed by their privacy statements.
5. SECURITY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
SOREL takes reasonable and appropriate measures designed to protect your personal information in an effort to prevent loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. Despite our reasonable efforts to help ensure the integrity and security of our network and systems, we cannot guarantee our security measures. To help protect personal information, we request that you use a strong password and never share your password with anyone or use the same password with other sites or accounts.
6. YOUR RIGHTS, CHOICES AND OPT-OUTS
A. Choices for Cookies and Similar Technologies
B. Unsubscribing from our Marketing Communications
You may opt out of receiving promotional emails from SOREL by clicking on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of those emails, or by clicking this Unsubscribe Link and entering the email address you wish to unsubscribe. If you choose to opt out of promotional emails, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as emails about your accounts or our ongoing business relations.
You can opt-out of receiving promotional text messages or calls to your phone number at any time by (i) for text messages, texting “STOP” in response to any text message you receive from us or contacting us as set out in the “Questions/Contact Us” section below and specifying you want to opt-out of text messages; and (ii) for calls, requesting opt-out during any call you receive from us or contacting us as set out in the “Questions/Contact Us” section below and specifying you want to opt-out of calls.
You may also send requests about your contact preferences or changes to your information by writing us at:
14375 N.W. Science Park Dr.
Portland, OR 97229
C. Opting Out of Location Collection
You may opt out from allowing SOREL to collect certain geographic location by changing your location preferences in your web browser or on your mobile device. We and others may still collect other geographic location information such as address, city and state that you directly provide or zip code, city and state inferred from your IP address.
7. DATA STORAGE
This website is operated by Columbia Sportswear Company, a company which is headquartered in the United States of America. To provide you with this website and the goods and services you order, your data may be processed by Columbia Sportswear Company, its group companies, and its service providers, who may be located in countries (including the USA) other than your country of residence. These countries may have data protection laws that are different than the laws in your country of residence, but Columbia Sportswear Company will protect your personal information in accordance with applicable data protection law and this Policy at all times.
8. YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
If you are a California resident and the processing of personal information about you is subject to the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”), you have certain rights with respect to that information.
In the past 12 months, we have collected the following categories of personal information enumerated in the CCPA:
- Identifiers, including name, postal address, email address, and online identifiers (such as IP address).
- Customer records, including phone number and billing address.
- Characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law, including gender.
- Commercial or transactions information, including records of products or services purchased, obtained, or considered.
- Internet or other electronic network activity information, including browsing history, search history, and interactions with a website, email, application, or advertisement.
- Geolocation data.
- Employment and education information.
- Inferences drawn from the above information about your predicted characteristics and preferences.
- Sensitive personal information, which is defined in the CCPA to include a consumer’s online account log-in name or email and corresponding password.
For further details on information we collect, including the sources from which we receive information, review the “Information We Collect” section above. We collect and use these categories of personal information for the business and commercial purposes described in the “Information Use” section above, including to manage our Site.
Use and Disclosure of Sensitive Personal Information. To the extent that we use or disclose sensitive personal information, we do so for permitted business purposes under the CCPA.
You have a right to opt-out from future sales or sharing of personal information. To do so, please see the “Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information” page.
You may also choose to enable online, where available, a universal opt-out preference via a tool that automatically communicates your opt-out preferences, such as the Global Privacy Control (“GPC”). We will process the GPC signal as a request to disable certain cookies, tags, and similar technologies, however, you will still need to follow instructions on the “Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information” page to opt out of certain offline sales or sharing of personal information.
Right to Know. You have a right to request that we provide you with the following information:
- The categories and specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you.
- The categories of sources from which we collect personal information.
- The business or commercial purposes for collecting, selling, or sharing personal information.
- The categories of third parties to whom we disclosed for a business purpose or sold or shared personal information.
- The categories of personal information we have disclosed about you for a business purpose. Note that the CCPA defines “business purpose” broadly; and because we use service providers for a number of business purposes that require access to our systems that hold personal information (such as supplying cloud data storage, maintaining the security of our systems, and providing customer support), in the past 12 months we have disclosed for a business purpose data from all of the categories of personal information that we maintain.
- The categories of personal information we have sold or shared about you, for each category of third parties to which the personal information was sold or shared in the past 12 months. We do not knowingly sell or share the personal information of minors under 16 years of age without affirmative authorization.
You may make such a “request to know” by completing the form provided here or by contacting us at 1-866-482-1422 during normal business hours. We will confirm receipt of your request within 10 days. Note that we have provided much of this information in this Policy.
Right to Delete. You also have a right to request that we delete personal information under certain circumstances, subject to a number of exceptions. To make a request to delete, complete the form provided here or contact us at 1-866-482-1422 during normal business hours.
Right to Correct. You have the right to request that we correct inaccurate personal information that we maintain about you, subject to applicable legal exceptions. To make a request to correct, contact us at 1-866-482-1422 during normal business hours or, if you have created an online account on our Site, you can update your contact details directly within that account by logging into your account here.
Verification. We may require specific information from you to help us verify your identity and process your request to know or delete. To verify your identity when you make a request to know or to delete, we will email the email address you provide us, and which matches our records, and wait for your response. In some instances we may also ask for additional information such as your mailing address. This is how we verify your identity before complying. If we are unable to verify your identity, we may deny your requests to know or delete.
You may designate, in writing or through a power of attorney, an authorized agent to make requests on your behalf to exercise your rights under the CCPA. Before accepting such a request from an agent, we will require the agent to provide written proof you have authorized it to act on your behalf, and we may need you to verify your identity directly with us.
Right to Non-Discrimination.
We do not discriminate against you for exercising your rights under applicable privacy laws.
Shine the Light.
Under California Civil Code Section 1798.83, also known as the “Shine the Light” law, if you are a California customer, you may request information about whether a business has disclosed personal information to any third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. In general, if the business has made such a disclosure of personal information, upon receipt of such a request, the business is required to provide a list of all third parties to whom personal information was disclosed in the preceding calendar year, as well as a list of the categories of personal information that were disclosed. California customers may request further information about our compliance with this law by e-mailing email@example.com with “Your California Privacy Rights” in the subject field. We are not responsible for notices that are not labeled or sent properly, or do not have complete information. Non-affiliated third parties are independent from SOREL and if you wish to receive information about your disclosure choices or stop communications from such third parties, you will need to contact those non-affiliated third parties directly.
9. YOUR VIRGINIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
The Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act (“VCDPA”) affords certain rights and protections to Virginia residents with respect to their personal data.
Virginia law provides Virginia residents with the rights listed below.
- Right to Access: You have the right to confirm whether we are processing your personal data and to access such personal data.
- Right to Delete: You have the right to delete personal data provided by or obtained about you.
- Right to Correct: You have the right to correct inaccuracies in your personal data, taking into account the nature of the personal data and the purposes of the processing.
- Right to Opt Out: You have the right to opt-out of “targeted advertising” as defined under Virginia law. We do not sell personal data as “sale” is defined under Virginia law.
- Right to Portability: You have the right to obtain a portable copy of the personal data that you provided to us.
How to Submit a Request
To exercise your rights to access, delete, or opt-out of “targeted advertising” under Virginia privacy law, please submit your request via the links below or contact us at 1-866-482-1422 during normal business hours.
To exercise your right to portability and request a portable copy of the personal data that you provided to us, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate you are a Virginia resident requesting a portable copy of your personal data.
To exercise your right to correct inaccuracies in your personal data, contact us at 1-866-482-1422 during normal business hours or, if you have created an online account on our Site, you can correct your contact details directly by logging into your account here.
Before completing your request, we may need to verify your identity. We will send you a link to verify your email address and may request additional documentation or information solely for the purpose of verifying your identity.
To appeal our decision regarding a request related to these rights, you may email us at email@example.com.
We value your privacy and will not discriminate in response to your exercise of your privacy rights.
10. ADDITIONAL DISCLOSURES FOR NEVADA RESIDENTS
Nevada law (NRS 603A.340) requires each business to establish a designated request address where Nevada consumers may submit requests directing the business not to sell certain kinds of personal information that the business has collected or will collect about the consumer. A sale under Nevada law is the exchange of personal information for monetary consideration by the business to a third party for the third party to license or sell the personal information to other third parties. SOREL does not sell consumers’ personal information for monetary consideration to third parties for licensing or sale to other third parties. If you are a Nevada consumer and wish to submit an inquiry relating to our compliance with Nevada law, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
11. THIRD-PARTY CONTENT, LINKS, AND PLUG-INS
The Site may have links to third-party websites, which may have privacy policies that differ from our own. We are not responsible for the practices of such sites.
12. CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
SOREL will change this Policy from time to time to reflect changes in our products, how we use personal information, or the applicable law. When we make any changes to this Policy, we will change the "Last Updated" date above. If we make material changes to this Policy, we will provide notice or obtain consent regarding such changes as may be required by law.
13. QUESTIONS/CONTACT US
If you have any questions about this Policy or our privacy practices, you may email us at email@example.com.